After expecting to have a quiet evening, I got a phone call about 8:15 to say my great-aunt had fallen and was on the way to the hospital and could a family member go and be with her. My mum and dad have gone away for the weekend so I tootled up to Worcester.
On reflection I'm not sure why I expected it to be just a couple of hours but it wasn't. The examination was quick and didn't reveal anything untoward, other than a huge, purply bruise on her leg, but then we had to wait for transportation back to her home.
My aunt suffers from dementia so we had some interesting conversations and most of the time she thought I was a medical person but at one point, to help her sleep, I read to her from my Bible. I asked her if she would like to read from John as she can sometimes still quote Chapter One. She said she liked John. She became very calm and still and I thought she had dropped off but she was obviously just listening intently. Halfway through she asked, "Who is it [referring to]?" I said, "Jesus". It was a bittersweet moment: something I know is at her core, but she could not quite remember. It was a special time of quiet in the middle of a busy A&E ward.
Around 2:45 a.m. the ambulance was available to take my aunt home so I arrived home about 3:15. A long night, but I am glad I could be there. I hope someone is there for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment